Bacon Wrapped Burgers
Monday, August 29, 2011 Review by judywrites
I’ve had bacon on top of my burger, but not wrapped around it. Here is a recipe to try exactly that!
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 (4.5-oz.) jar sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia or sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup bottled honey barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Wooden picks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns, toasted
- 1. Arrange bacon on a paper towel-lined microwave-safe plate; cover with a paper towel. Microwave bacon at HIGH 2 minutes or until edges begin to crinkle and bacon is partially cooked.
- 2. Sauté mushrooms and onion in hot oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce.
- 3. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high). Shape ground beef into 8 (5-inch) thin patties. Place 2 Tbsp. mushroom mixture in center of each of 4 patties. Top with remaining patties, pressing edges to seal. Shape into 4-inch patties. Wrap sides of each patty with 2 bacon slices, overlapping ends of each slice. Secure bacon using wooden picks. Sprinkle patties with salt. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- 4. Grill patties, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 5 to 6 minutes on 1 side. Turn and baste with half of remaining barbecue sauce. Grill 5 to 6 minutes or until beef is no longer pink in center. Turn and baste with remaining barbecue sauce. Remove from grill, and let stand 5 minutes. Remove wooden picks. Serve burgers on buns, and top with remaining mushroom mixture.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Honey Barbecue Sauce.
The recipe received good reviews, however, a couple of people suggested frying the bacon rather than the microwave. The concern would be that the bacon is cooked enough when the meat is done. Someone else thought adding cheese would be a heart attack on a plate, but I am thinking at this point – what the heck!
Thanks to my recipes for sharing this Southern Living Recipe http://www.myrecipes.com/summer-grilling/daily-grill-00420000005581/?viewdate=8_29_2011&iid=edit-grill-082911&PromKey=XET