Bacon Biscuits with Roasted Apple Butter
- 10 thin slices smoked bacon (about 5 ounces)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Roasted Apple Butter
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then finely chop. Pour the bacon fat into a small bowl and let cool; refrigerate until solid.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, whisk the flour with the salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add 5 tablespoons of the cold bacon fat. Use your fingers to gently blend it with the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the cream and chopped bacon until a loose dough forms. Scrape onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to a 10-by-12-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/4-inch squares and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake the biscuits for 22 minutes, or until golden. Let cool slightly on a wire rack and serve with Roasted Apple Butter.
If you don’t want to bother with the apple butter, some honey butter or maybe even peanut butter could work well too!
Thanks Food and Wine…http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bacon-biscuits-with-roasted-apple-butter