Bacon Jam (a.k.a. Oooh-Mommy Jam)
Yield: About 6 cups. (You can easily halve this recipe.)
- 3 pounds bacon
- 4 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed with the flat side of a knife or a pan and peeled
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups very strong brewed black coffee
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the bacon slices into one inch strips. Add the bacon to a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring frequently, until the bacon is browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings into a heat-proof jar with a tight-fitting lid.*
*Save the bacon drippings in the refrigerator. That’s too much flavor to trash!
Place the Dutch oven back over the medium-high heat and add the onions and garlic.
More to the full post: http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/blog/2011/01/17/bacon-jam-a-k-a-oooh-mommy-jam/
We Love BaconScotch!