Four Cheese & Bacon Jalapeños
Friday, January 20, 2012 Review by judywrites
Are you having a Super Bowl party? Or maybe friends over for the playoff games? This recipes just sounds and looks absolutely yummy!
- 24 fresh jalapeños
- 8 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Double Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Mozzarella & Provolone Cheese
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups plain fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Wear gloves to protect fingers! Make cut under half of stem lengthwise on one side of peppers forming a “T.” Pry open; remove seeds using tip of a paring knife and kitchen shears.
- Stir together bacon, cheeses, hot sauce, pepper and 1 tsp. salt.
- Fill jalapeños with cheese mixture, pressing seams closed after filling, so that cheese is compacted and chili retains its shape.
- Lightly beat eggs in a small shallow bowl. Stir together breadcrumbs, oregano and 1 tsp. salt in another shallow bowl.
- Dip jalapeños in egg, letting excess drip off, then coat with breadcrumbs, transferring to a work surface. Repeat coating with egg and crumbs to form a second layer.
- Heat 2 inches of oil to 325°F in a medium saucepan. Fry 4 jalapeños until golden brown all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to several layers of paper towels to drain. Repeat twice, heating oil to 325°F between each batch.