Posts Tagged ‘bacon takedown’
We have 2 Free Tickets! Please Contact Us!
Hormel® Black Label® has been in a state of bacon mania for over 100 years, and this year, it’s bringing back the Bacon Takedown Series to Minneapolis to inspire local chefs to compete for bacon glory and display their love for the delectable dish. Recognizing that consumers are using bacon in more and different ways than ever before, Hormel® Black Label® will takes its innovative flavor profiles and smoke combinations and arm amateur chef competitors with 15 pounds of its bacon. Competitors will go belly to belly to show-off their cooking talents and demonstrate what Black Label knows best: they’re serious about bacon.
Tasters will Experience
- Fun in the photobooth with bacon moustaches, pig snouts and the opportunity to turn into a life-sized bacon strip, all made sharable on Facebook!
- Up to 20 delicious and diverse Hormel® Black Label® inspired bacon dishes ranging from classic favorites to wonderfully bizarre.
- Prizes for contestants and randomly selected audience members include cooking-related items and of course, Black Label bacon.
- The event is all-ages and family friendly.
Matt Timms, producer and food competition extraordinaire, will lead the bacon charge for the fourth annual Bacon Takedown series. This is the Takedown’s first trip back to Minneapolis since the inaugural 2010 Series. Top rated bacon dishes from Minnesotans in the last go-round included:
- Brown Butter Cereal Bars with Candied Bacon
- Bacon S’Mores with Cherry Wrapped Bacon
- Curry Sweet Potato Bacon Fritters
The Bacon Takedown Series sponsored by Hormel® Black Label® bacon is kicking off its third annual tour around the country to find the most delicious and unconventional bacon recipes.
Hosted by Matt Timms (thetakedowns.com), the event is hitting six cities this year:
- Austin, TX—March 11th
- Denver, CO—April 22nd
- Boston, MA—June 24th
- San Francisco, CA—July 15th
- Chicago, IL—September 16th
- Brooklyn, NY –October 14th
Each event features 20 local amateur chefs who accept the challenge of cooking recipes with bacon for 200-300 people who then taste and vote on their favorite. Die-hard bacon-clad fans including those dressed as walking strips of bacon, donning bacon beards, and others with curly-q tails pined to their behinds can be seen at the events, and teams of participants have also been known to create theme tables and dress up for the part—past tables have had Girl Scouts and Kentucky Derby themes, to name a few.
The participating cooks receive 15 pounds of Hormel® Black Label® bacon to create their bacon dish —in the past entries have included new takes on classic favorites and wonderfully bizarre concoctions, including:
- An entire meal out of Bacon including Bacon Wonton, Watermelon Salad & Coconut Soup w/ Praline Bacon
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Belly on a Stick
- Nacho Bacon
- Pineapple Bacon Bombs & Bunches of Bacon Bar
- Bacon Maple Caramel
- Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese Bites Wrapped in Bacon
Then it’s up to the judges and the crowd to pick their favorites! The winner receives a one-year supply of Hormel® Black Label® bacon and other cooking related-items. A random audience member and taster at each event will also be selected to receive a one-year supply of Hormel® Black Label® bacon.
Many of the Bacon Takedown events sell out in advance with bacon fans eager to taste creations from their hometown cooks. Tickets to the events in each city are very low-priced (between $10- $15) so make sure to get tickets early! Anyone can sign-up to be a contestant, so watch out for the “call for contestants” on www.thetakedowns.com to enter as a cheftestant!
Fans should visit www.facebook.com/HormelBacon to stay up to date on events and get in on the bacon goodness. The page will feature the best recipes and photos from each of the events and original bacon films—think bacon as the subject of dramas, comedies and film noire! A polling application is also available for fans to share all of the ways that they enjoy bacon.